I Love You, Even When You Break My Heart

As a collegiate athlete I never struggled with season ending injuries. Running post collegiate has been another story. 
Last year my focus was qualifiying for the IAAF 2017 World Championships in the 400m. I felt stronger than ever and was determined and ready to hit the mark. Unfortunately my season ended early in May when the pain in my lower shin became to much to bare. I has a stress reaction in my tibia. This was devastating for me. I used this experience the best I could, making recovery and treatement a priority for this season.
The thing with injuries is sometimes you don't see them coming. I recently strained my hamstring, cutting my indoor season just a bit short. It's hard to explain the heartbreak that comes when you work towards one goal everyday and then out of nowhere that goal is not in sight. 
Track and field is something I truly love. So despite the heartache that comes with unexpected injuries I know it is part of my journey as an athlete. These stortcomings are preparing and propelling me to my overall goal in the sport. The trick is to never give up. To not allow bumps in the road, to prevent you from taking that road at all. 
With all that said, I am now refocused. I am learning more about my body, how it works, and how theres more I will have to do to keep it in the best condition. 
Barranquilla, Columbia awaits! 

Comments